The job has expired.
Apprenticeship program – Level II Diploma in Electrical Power Engineering UG cables & OH Power Lines – City & Guilds 2339
Program Duration – Circa 30 months
Program Activities – Skills Assessment & Course Content for estimated durations of 8 – 12 weeks, (both Classroom based & site/practical application based) followed each time by 12 weeks practical experience on site.
The Overhead Lines Operative Traineeship is designed to provide the electrical transmission and distribution sector with personnel who have the knowledge, skills and competencies to undertake a range of tasks associated with the erection and maintenance of overhead power lines. Participants will get the opportunity to develop the practical and technical skills needed to construct and maintain overhead power lines. The course is the ideal starting point for anyone who is interested in developing a career in this type of work.
- Overhead Lines Induction
– Understand the planned outcomes and conditions attached to attendance on the course; Adhere to the training centre and workplace rules and regulations; interpret the relevant sections of the 2007 Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Regulations and the 2005 Health and Safety at Work Act; work safely and competently according to the procedures laid out in NIE Networks’ Contractor Safety Guidelines; carry out occupational first aid in a safe and competent manner; select and use appropriate PPE to climb and rescue co-workers from power towers; manually lift and move objects safely; and work safely on construction sites.
- Equipment, Plant and Transport – Operate all machinery, apparatus and road transport vehicles required for moving and installing overhead power lines plant and equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Electricity Basics – Electrical Power Engineering – List the various sources of electricity; understand how power stations and other form of electrical generation work; understand the function and operation of electrical substations and transformers; use Ohm’s Law to calculate values of current, voltage and resistance; and carry out calculations for values of electrical power and energy.
- Communication within the Power Sector –Identify and interpret information contained in written, diagrammatic and pictorial formats; communicate this information to other people; deal effectively with customer queries and concerns; and provide accurate answers and information when requested.
- Wood Pole Structures – Configure, assemble, install and maintain all aspects of wood poles, steelwork, fittings and conductors in low and medium voltage overhead power lines.
- Steel Tower Structures –Configure, assemble, install and maintain all aspects of steel tower structures, steelwork, fittings and conductors in low, medium and high voltage overhead power lines.
- Work Based Training and Assessment –Work on site or in a specific vocational setting to gain competence in: moving overhead power lines plant and equipment; entering and exiting sites in rural and remote locations; working on wood pole and steel tower structures; installing, replacing and maintaining steelwork, fittings and conductors on wood pole and steel tower structure; and earthing of overhead line conductors.
- Career planning and job seeking skills – plan and achieve realistic employment and career goals.
The Ideal Candidate
- Entry Requirements
- 4 GCSE’s Level C & above, including Maths, English & Science.
- Aged between 18 & 24 on 01/10/2018.
- Ability to document evidence of course activity completion every 6 weeks.
About The Company
This is joint program with TLI Group and Northern Ireland Electricity Networks (NIE)
TLI Group is a utility infrastructure consultancy and construction company, operating extensively within the utilities sector in Ireland, and the UK.
Designing and building overhead power lines, electrical substations and Telecom Networks are the company’s core expertise. Since inception, TLI Group has executed countless projects within this field and has always delivered works of utmost quality and integrity.
Building on its vast experience and having a highly-qualified & skilled workforce has made it possible for the company to expand its portfolio. We also deliver comprehensive contracts involving the securing of planning permission, design, construction, refurbishment and maintenance of renewable solar and windfarm network connections to the national grid.